FlexIC Foundry enables custom flexible integrated circuit design
PragmatIC is inspiring innovators to create extraordinary solutions
PragmatIC has developed a unique, patented semiconductor device platform that provides the opportunity to invent entirely new applications for electronics: as well as being ultra-low cost, it is also ultra-thin and flexible, and can be easily combined with other thin film electronic components to create novel solutions. Our FlexIC Foundry® now allows third parties to access this technology to design and manufacture their own custom flexible integrated circuits (FlexICs).
PragmatIC created the FlexIC Foundry initially to accelerate the development and launch of its ConnectIC® family of RFID FlexICs earlier this year. ConnectICs are application-specific standard products that offer the ideal solution to be able to add connectivity and interactivity into trillions of everyday objects, with the potential to increase the addressable RFID market by an order of magnitude or more.
The FlexICs are produced in our FlexLogIC® manufacturing system, a highly scalable “fab-in-a-box” capable of delivering billions of FlexICs per annum. FlexLogIC is self-contained and highly automated, providing a disruptive production approach aligned to just-in-time delivery of mass market volumes.
The FlexIC Foundry offering combines the FlexLogIC Process Design Kit (PDK) with a rapid tapeout cycle for production wafers, allowing product iteration and refinement without the cost and timescale constraints of a silicon fab. The PDK is based on an industry-standard Electronic Design Automation (EDA) toolflow; it includes a core device library, simulation models, design rules, and a growing library of standard cells to facilitate design and footprint optimisation.
The FlexIC Foundry is currently in beta release, and PragmatIC has been working with select partners who are using it to create custom circuits, including:
- Arm’s research team have been working with partners to design a cost-effective, custom machine learning (ML) chip on a flexible substrate for recognising odour;
- Cambridge Consultants is offering custom FlexIC design services to its global client base, leveraging its deep expertise across ASICs, IP and end-product development;
- imec have designed RFID FlexICs as part of the PING consortium, winner of the Innovation Product Award at the European Forum for Electronics Components and Systems (EFECS), and will now leverage the FlexIC Foundry to transfer a range of other flexible plastic circuit designs into volume manufacturability;
- Productivity Engineering GmbH (part of Serma Technologies Group) is extending their successful ASIC design service to include ultra-low-cost flexible ASICs. The company developed its own proprietary analog and digital IP cells and libraries to design flexible integrated circuits for the IoT and Industrial market; and
- Talkin’ Things, in addition to offering tags based on the ConnectIC family, are also designing their own RFID FlexICs with proprietary functionality.
“We are very pleased to work closely with these distinguished companies during the development of our FlexIC Foundry,” said Scott White, CEO of PragmatIC. “We see this as being key to putting our novel technology in the hands of designers all around the world to create more pioneering products and advance them rapidly from concept to reality.”
– Ends –
PragmatIC is a world leader in ultra-low-cost flexible electronics, enabling the potential for trillions of smart objects that can engage with consumers and their environments. Our unique technology platform delivers flexible integrated circuits (FlexICs) that are thinner than a human hair and can be easily embedded into everyday objects. PragmatIC's solutions provide the opportunity to add new functionality, as well as extending proven applications such as RFID and NFC into mass market use cases previously prohibited by the cost of traditional silicon ICs. Our novel, differentiated products are being adopted by a growing base of global companies across diverse markets, including consumer goods, games, retail, pharmaceutical and security sectors. PragmatIC's first product family, the ConnectIC® series of RFID FlexICs, was launched in February 2019. Within 2 months we received orders for over 20 million units from customers in Europe, North America and Asia, endorsing it as the ideal solution for introducing connectivity into mass market applications. PragmatIC is headquartered in Cambridge, UK, with our first billion-unit production facility in Sedgefield. Shareholders include Cambridge Innovation Capital, Arm and Avery Dennison.
High resolution images are available in our Press Kit at https://www.pragmaticsemi.com/presskit